Statement of Solidarity
The increase in anti-Asian sentiment we have witnessed over the last year has fueled threats, violence, and hate crimes against the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities. At Fullerton College, our AAPI communities account for approximately 15% of our student body and 13% of our employees. The Cadena Cultural Center & Grads to Be Program Staff stand in solidarity with the AAPI communities impacted by anti-Asian hate and violence, now and always. We condemn all forms of racism, xenophobia, and white supremacy.
We encourage faculty, staff and students to counteract this hate by engaging in efforts that support our AAPI communities on campus and in our local communities. The Cadena Cultural Center is hosting a creative healing space, “Healing with Heart: A Safe Space in Response to Anti-Asian Violence” on Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 3:00-4:30 p.m. Another way to get involved is by attending Fullerton College’s #StandforAsians event happening on Thursday, March 25, 2021, 5:00 – 6:30 p.m.
We send love, strength, and support to our AAPI communities at Fullerton College and beyond.
Cadena Cultural Center and Grads to Be Program
Resources for AAPI Communities and Allies
The Cadena Cultural Center is currently working on curating a Resource Document for the Asian American and Pacific Islander Communities and for the campus community who would like to gain a deeper understanding of historical and present-day manifestations of anti-Asian violence in the United States. We will continue adding resources.
- Anti-Asian Violence Resources for Educators
- Anti-Asian Violence Resources
- Asian American Studies: Made in California
- Racial Microaggressions and the Asian American Experience.pdf
- The long, ugly history of anti-Asian racism and violence in the U.S.
- Protests Across U.S. Call for End to Anti-Asian Violence
- Anti-racism resources to support Asian American, Pacific Islander community
- How to support Asian American colleagues amid the recent wave of anti-Asian violence
- There’s been a rise in anti-Asian Attacks. Here’s how to be an ally to the community
- Asian American Activists to Watch
- A Letter to My Fellow Asian Women Whose Hearts Are Still Breaking
- Addressing Anti-Asian Racism in the University
Books, Podcasts and Videos (Under Development)
- A Reading List to Celebrate Asian Authors, From Members of TIME’s Asian Community
- 25 Amazing Books by Asian American and Pacific Islander Authors You Need to Read
- Asian Americans – Five Hour Film Series
- Self Evident: Asian American’s Stories Podcast
- NPR Code Switch Podcast: When Xenophobia Spreads Like A Virus
- We are not a stereotype: Breaking Down Asian Pacific American Bias